Monday, November 23, 2009

Did I Mention the Garlic?

Earlier this month my office had a potluck lunch. I made mint pea soup, which, thankfully, was a huge hit because I'd never made it before. I break that cardinal rule of cooking a lot, don't I?

While I can take the credit for chopping the vegetables and putting it all together, the recipe is from Jamie Oliver's new book Jamie's Food Revolution. I bought it at the end of the summer using a Chapters gift card I'd received for my birthday. In February. Oups! Believe it or not I spent February until August trying to figure out what book to buy myself. See, I would hate to buy some book I'd never read before, get it home, end up hating it and then have it live on my shelf for eternity. But buying a book I've already read seems equally silly. Perfect solution to this problem? Cookbook!

I've made about a dozen recipes from Food Revolution already and almost every one has been a huge hit, especially the chicken stew I made last night, the tikka salmon on naan and the garlic chicken. That last one is where Jamie proves his worth as a chef and earns a Nobel nomination in my eyes. The dude thought to put butter and garlic directly into the breading for the chicken. Genius.

What I love about this book - beautiful pictures and really, REALLY easy recipes. What I don't love? Jamie and I seem to be having an issue with liquids. Now, I have other cookbooks written by British authors, I know how to convert measurements. I even have a kitchen scale and a handy conversion chart to help me, but even so, several of the recipes need more liquid than Jamie calls for.

But it's a small price to pay for breaded chicken with garlic RIGHT IN THE BREADING! Have I said that yet? Cause it is truly divine and should be mentioned. Again.

0 comments: