Thursday, May 28, 2009

You Look Marvelous

This morning, as I was taking my son to daycare, a woman got on the subway, sat across from us, pulled a large Ziplock bag out of her briefcase and proceeded to fix her face.

And I don't mean a little lipstick touch-up. I mean full-on morning makeup routine: concealer for the bags under her eyes, foundation, bronzer, and on and on and on. The worst part? In the six years I've been living in Toronto, this isn't the first time I've seen someone conduct their personal hygiene ritual in public. I've seen a woman clipping her nails on the subway and another putting her contact lenses on while ridding the bus. Never mind that she's in public - she's putting something in her EYE while on the BUS. Hello?!? Do people not understand how infectious diseases work? By getting people to put their dirty fingers in their mouths and noses and EYES! (shudder)

It never ceases to amaze me that people think it's acceptable to groom themselves in public. It isn't. Unfortunately, the fact that my son sat staring at her, mouth agape, the whole ride didn't cause her to clue in. I mean, he's just over a year old and even he knew it wasn't cool.

1 comments:

Terry Murray said...

I'm at a conference in Boston and so will miss the chicken tortilla soup, but how be I swing by on Thursday for the chicken, sweet potato and broccoli. I've got a nice New Zealand sauvignon blanc at home...