Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Party Game

The author of one of the few blogs I read on a regular basis (finslippy.com) recently described a situation I think many of us can relate to: telling a horribly awkward and embarrassing story at a party. You know the scene - you're trying to be all funny and self-deprecating but before you know it you've said too much and everyone is backing away saying "oh, I think left the microwave on, gotta run!"

You don't really need to read the story itself - it probably involves the word vagina much more than you're prepared for at this time of day (whatever time that may be) - but I wanted to mention it because her story ends with another party goer rescuing her with a great game:

1)What's the book you wish you had written?
2) What book do you read when you want something comforting and familiar?
3) What book do you think everyone should read?

Here are my answers. I apologize for not being able to pick just one.

1) The Harry Potter books - because then I'd be rich and all my problems would be solved (including the need for world peace).

2) Funny how I was just talking about this! Microserfs, followed closely by Heartburn.

3) 1984 (best ending in a book EVER) or Roots (trust me, those 700 pages go by fast).

What are yours?

1 comments:

James said...

1) A Fighter's Heart by Sam Sheridan

2) Umm, usually comics fill this role.

3) The God Delusion