Monday, August 31, 2009

Good Old Days of Music

I was at a friend's for a BBQ a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoying the food, drink and great music playing. Sometime around Bob Seger's "Night Moves", the following exchange took place:

Me: "This is a great playlist."
My friend, laughing: "I put it on just for you. It's my 'Southern Rock' playlist."
My friend, turning to everyone else present: "Scribe doesn't think any music of value was written after 1978."

Now, that's not entirely true - there are songs and artists who have come out in the last 20 years that I like - I just don't appreciate music containing the words "Disco Stick" or with group dance sequences in the videos. I hold a soft spot for a particular generation of Rock/pop
. . . it's just not my generation.

But I try to have an open mind when it comes to new music and love discovering some new great song or artist. In fact, several different people (including my friend at the BBQ) have recently recommended that I listen to Kings of Leon. One friend even made me a CD of their music and I've been giving it a listen. I will say that I'm intrigued and this ditty in particular has been stuck in my head for a week:




At the same time, I'm currently debating whether or not I want to go see "Taking Woodstock", Ang Lee's new movie.




The preview makes it look a little cheesy, but my sentimentality over the era and the event might win out. I mean, I may have been the only 15-year-old to ask for the Woodstock soundtrack for Christmas - in the 1990s.

2 comments:

Terry Murray said...

How did I miss hearing "disco stick"?

James said...

Said friend's awesome playlist:

Midnight Rider - The Allman Brothers

La Grange - ZZ Top

Who Do You Love - George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Mississippi Queen - Mountain

Jet Airliner - Steve Miller Band

Funk #49 - James Gang

Ramble On - Led Zeppelin

I Just Want to Make Love To You - Foghat

Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Night Moves - Bob Seger

Picture - Kid Rock/Sheryl Crow

Rolling and Tumbling - Jeff Beck ft Imogen Heap

Give a Little Bit - Supertramp

Some Kind of Wonderful - Grand Funk Railroad

Lonely Road of Faith - Kidd Rock

Cissy Strut - The Meters