Sunday, August 23, 2009

How I Learned to Stop Worring and Love My Slow Cooker

When I was growing up my mother only ever used her slow cooker for chili, so for the longest time I associated the slow cooker with winter - a time when you wanted things like chili, soup, stew, etc.

When I started to get ready to go back to work at the end of my mat leave, I started looking into ways I could use my slow cooker more and found a whole whack of recipes that go beyond the stew genre. The funny thing is, a slow cooker is perfect for the summer months because it doesn't heat up the kitchen like a stove does. If only we'd known this during my air conditionless childhood!

The reason I wanted to learn how to use the slow cooker more was to save time . . . see I was supposed to be juggling work, getting a kid home and fixing dinner all in a short space of time. It didn't exactly work out that way, but I now have a nice pile of recipes that work great in the slow cooker and one of last week's recipes was a prime example: pulled pork sandwiches. This is one of my favourites and it always turns out great - tender, juicy meat in a mouth-watering, homemade BBQ sauce. Just slap it on buns and serve with a side dish. Remind me why we don't have this every week again?

2 comments:

Terry Murray said...

I have a great boof boor-gin-yong recipe for a slow cooker. Of course, that is stew-ish and a winter dish. I've baked really nice bread in mine, too. I'd be interested in learning what other things you've found to make in the slow cooker.

Scribe said...

Hm, I'm intrigued by boof boor-gin-yong in the slow cooker. And bread? Really? That I MUST try!

Some slow cooker hits: coq au vin, sausage with peppers, chicken salsa and butter chicken. I also made lasagna once, but it was only OK. I need to work on that one.